Restaurant Water Damage: Our 5 Favorite Prevention Tips
Restaurant water damage can lead to costly downtime for restaurant owners.
Did you know that water damage is one of the most common types of property damage restaurants face? Unfortunately, it's so common that we recommend owners be proactive in preventing restaurant water damage on their property.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Jackson and Madison Counties know firsthand that restaurant water damage can be a restaurant owner's worst nightmare. So, to help restaurant owners prevent a water damage disaster, we have put together five tips for restaurant owners to help avoid restaurant water damage.
What is restaurant water damage?
Restaurant water damage is property damage that occurs in restaurants due to water leakage or flooding. It results in extensive and costly repairs and can cause restaurant owners to suffer substantial financial losses.
We have seen restaurant closures due to restaurant water damage, and many restaurant owners have experienced substantial financial losses due to restaurant water damage. Therefore, restaurant owners need to be proactive in preventing water damage and have a plan in place if a disaster strikes.
Spotting restaurant water damage
Restaurant owners must spot water damage before it's too late. Water damage can cause costly repairs and restaurant closures, so restaurant owners should be aware of the signs of restaurant water damage to prevent disaster.
Restaurant owners can spot water damage by paying close attention to their walls, floors, and ceilings. If restaurant owners notice any water seeping through these surfaces, it indicates restaurant water damage.
Five tips to prevent restaurant water damage
Now that you are aware of how to spot restaurant water damage, here are five tips that all restaurant owners should follow to prevent restaurant water damage:
- Check your restaurant's plumbing system regularly. Leaky pipes, worn-out seals, and other plumbing issues can lead to significant water damage when not addressed. Have a professional inspect your restaurant's plumbing at least once a year to prevent substantial damage from occurring.
- Upgrade outdated fixtures and appliances that use water. Older plumbing fixtures are more prone to leakage because of material faults. If you have older devices, faucets, or sinks in your restaurant, it may be time to upgrade them with newer, more reliable models.
- Invest in a water detection system. These systems monitor the moisture levels of your restaurant and alert you if any suspicious activity is detected. A water detection system will help you see potential problems early and take action to prevent water damage from occurring.
- Clean your restaurant's gutters and downspouts regularly. Clogged gutters can lead to water pooling on your restaurant's roof, which can cause damage to the building over time. Ensure that your restaurant's gutters are debris-free so water can flow appropriately from the structure.
- Make sure your restaurant has adequate drainage. Poorly designed or clogged drainage systems can also lead to water damage. Have a professional inspect your restaurant's drains and make any necessary repairs or upgrades to prevent significant water damage from occurring in the future.
By following these five tips, restaurant owners can prevent water damage and the costly repairs that come with it. Restaurant owners must be proactive in avoiding restaurant water damage and have a plan in case of a disaster. With proper prevention and planning, restaurant owners can protect their restaurants from costly damage and disruption.
Steps to follow when your restaurant experiences water damage
When restaurant owners experience water damage, they must take swift action to prevent further damage and disruption. Here are the steps restaurant owners should take when their restaurant experiences water damage:
- Shut off the water supply: The first step restaurant owners should take when they experience restaurant water damage is to shut off the water supply. Shutting off the water supply will help minimize any further damage caused by the water.
- Contact a professional: After shutting off the water supply, restaurant owners should contact a professional water damage restoration company to assess and repair the damage. A qualified professional can determine if additional damage needs to be addressed, such as mold or structural damage, and can provide restaurant owners with a plan of action to restore their restaurant to its original condition.
- Document the damage: Restaurant owners should take pictures and document all damages caused by the water to ensure they are adequately compensated. Documentation will also help restaurant owners identify areas needing additional repairs or replacements and provide proof for insurance claims.
- Get back to business: After the restaurant is repaired, restaurant owners should take steps to get their restaurant back in operation as soon as possible. You will want to implement protocols for food safety and sanitation, reschedule staff and customers, and put a plan in place to make up for lost revenue during the restaurant's closure.
By following these steps, restaurant owners can help minimize disruption and restore the restaurant to its original condition quickly and safely. Unfortunately, water damage is a reality for many restaurant owners. Still, by being proactive and knowing what to do when experiencing water damage, restaurant owners can protect their restaurants from costly disruption and damage.
SERVPRO's restaurant water damage services
Restaurant water damage can have severe consequences for restaurant owners, but with proper prevention and a plan, they can protect their restaurants from costly damage. Following the steps outlined in this blog post, restaurant owners can help minimize disruption and restore their restaurant quickly and safely.
When restaurant owners experience water damage in their restaurants, the professionals at SERVPRO of Jackson and Madison Counties can help them get back on their feet quickly. Our team of qualified professionals will assess the damage and provide restaurant owners with immediate water damage prevention, repair, and restoration solutions. With SERVPRO restaurant water damage services, restaurant owners can rest assured that their restaurant will be back in business as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of Jackson and Madison Counties is a leading provider of restaurant water damage services. We offer restaurant owners comprehensive water damage prevention and restoration solutions, including emergency water extraction, structural drying, and complete reconstruction services. Contact us today to learn more about our restaurant water damage services.